April 5th, 2025
I was reminded of a speeding ticket I got last year.
I was on a back country road that I wan’t familiar. I came over the top of a hill and saw the cop parked at the bottom. I thought to myself “sneaky, sneaky!”— but then he pulled me over. He used the standard “Do you know how fast your were going?” line, and I told him I did. I always use the cruise control, and I set it for 8 mph over. My logic, I explained to him, is that it’s fast enough that when I traffic the people behind you don’t get crazy road rage, but not fast enough to be bothered for speeding. Or so I thought. He commended my logic and said that it would be solid, except the speed limit there was 45 and not 55. He took my license and stuff to his car and came back with a ticket explaining that he actually clocked me going 20mph over, but only wrote the ticket for 10mph over.
I wrote the check and got it in the mail as soon as I got home. I mean I was upset because it was total misunderstanding. I thought I was actively NOT speeding. I basally got a ticket because the speed limit wasn’t clearly marked. However, I was more grateful to the officer for being understanding and empathetic, though. I put it behind me, and almost forgot about it .
Until yesterday. Hubby called the insurance company to go over everything and reevaluate. The motorcycle insurance doubled. The car insurance went up $30 a month. Why? Because of that ticket. I don’t even drive the motorcycle! And $30 a month for the car? Before that I had one ticket two decades ago. I was a teenager for crying out loud! One stupid ticket is cause for an extra $360 a year for the car and double a motorcycle that I don’t even drive? The hell?!?!?! The ticket itself didn’t even cost that much! To top it off, when my name was taken off the motorcycle as.a driver the price only went down a small amount. It didn’t even go back to what it was last year.
Fuckin Insurance companies are crooks.
Comments
Post a Comment